Seed swap had small turn out, and was mostly planting our own seeds and talking about it while drinking beers. So … successful.
Planted some flower starts there, along with a few more herbs. Doing more flowers today, some of which are to be shared with Bobby. I had a helper too! Having never done flower starts, curious to see how timing works out, and if better than direct planting in a few weeks when less frost danger.
For the conclusion of our Russian Winter TV Club’s watching of the BBC’s War & Peace, I decided to make this classic stuffed bread. Haven’t dabbled much with stuffed breads before, so figured start with one with very thin crust surrounding the filling to reduce chances of it being under-baked.
482g AP Flour
113g sour cream
57g soft unsalted butter
113g warm water
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast
Mixed together and kneaded for a few minutes. Set into a bowl and allowed to rise until nearly doubled in size, about an hour. Separated into 18 or so even sizes (bout 40-50g if memory serves…) and rolled them all fairly thin, probably 3-5mm in thickness. I let them relax a bit as I rolled, and probably say another 10-15 min before putting in the filling.
Made two fillings – one with sautéed mushrooms, the other with faux beef crumbles. Each were mixed with a large amount of onions, some garlic, and salt and black pepper. The mushrooms got a cheddar cheese mixed in, the ‘beef’ more of a parm/mozzarella mix. I think each mix ended up being around 200g total…
Egg-washed the rounds before placing the filling in the middle, and then folding over, like a pierogi. Crimped shut and then let them all sit for 30 or so minutes after filling to allow a secondary proof.
Baked at 400 for 20 minutes. Rotated sheets top to bottom and flipped front to back halfway through. They were quite delicious!
Mix together the dry ingredients and then add water. Slowly add olive oil after dough comes together, and continue kneading for 4-5 minutes, until silky smooth.
In this case, let it rest in the fridge for almost 9 hours, removed and let come up to temp for an hour and a half before rolling out. This makes two 6 slice pizzas, we covered one with a garlic sauce and mozzarella and Parmesan with mushrooms for a white pizza. The other was some pizza sauce from scratch with mozzarella, tomatoes and spinach.
Since I don’t own a peel, improvised with the back of a baking sheet. Used cast iron griddle instead of baking stone, seemed to work alright. Oven was preheated to 500 F with cast iron already inside.
Another round of french bread. Baguettes again? Maybe a more fun shape.
Starting with pâté fermentée as follows:
1.5 SAF instant yeast
Kneaded for 5 minutes after coming together in bowl. Back into a probably overly oiled boil for 18-24 hours.
Returned 20 hours later and added the remainder ingredients (which is just the same as the fermentée a second time over…). Paid careful attention to proof times, and gave extra care to transfers following secondary ferment.
Decided to use this batch as an opportunity to practice some scissor scoring methods, attempting an Épi and some spiky boules. I didn’t cut at quite the right angle, or far enough into the loaf on the former. The latter could have used deeper cuts, but I was worried about degassing. Maybe change angle for a larger slice but with less puncture into the loaf?
Clear sunny day with high of 45. Low last night was upper 20s.
Removed three more of the obnoxiously large grasses from the front yard and moved elsewhere.
Placed last of 14 3×3 beds, which is for asparagus. Hand dug up the year old crowns and spaced further apart in bed. Still need to add good organic mulch on that.
The garlic is also going strong, 15 shoots when counting today. Having completely forgotten to write down how many cloves were planted, no idea of germination rate. The evergreen note to self: take better notes.
Beginning of March is the beginning of seed starting!
Planted several varieties of peppers for both myself and Bobby to share. Maybe a few left overs, but trying to do better about not starting TOO many and then forcing them all into the garden.
Also started a handful of herbs.
Backing up a step, also worth explaining I’ve expanded seed starting to a new set of wire shelves, Two LED grow lights, and two flexible heat mats. Still have to figure out some timing things with lights and mats, but hoping for strong starts, especially with heat lovers like tomatoes and peppers.